Friday, February 8, 2008

Advertisements!

I absolutely love the first video about the Dove self esteem challenge. First of all it is completely accurate how advertising can be totally untrue. I was completely shocked and honestly did not know that much photo shop was used to make these people look what is supposed to be “good”. I think dove is doing a good think with their natural beauty campaign because nothing you see on a magazine cover or in the movies is natural beauty; it’s all fake. The argument in this video that Dove is trying make is that what you think is real beauty is all fake and that only one’s natural beauty is the only thing that is real. This seems to be a very honest video because it is showing reality and how out of wack the mindset of the people who think it is natural beauty.
Wow, the playstation versus wii commercial was quite interesting. Obviously the more attractive and well slutty girl is trying to sell the wii with her ways of thinking that apparently are supposed to get people to want and buy the wii. Well yeah probably if you’re a guy. But anyways this commercial was very interesting because the lady representing the playstation made good points that the wii girl didn’t really argue back, more just make stupid little comments that made a little bit of sense. I guess in this commercial it was more about what the player wants out of the game system to make a decision. This ad for sure makes value judgments that do not apply just to the product. The girl is dancing around half naked slapping her butt saying things like she’s “fun, easy and cheap”. Well this sure sends several messages other than about the wii. Obviously we all know what they are, but I think this article is not in the best taste, and it makes fun of the other girl because she’s more conservative.
The cinnamon toast crunch commercial is obviously a commercial trying to promote cereal. They use techniques to try and make the cereal look appetizing in order for people to think “oh that looks good I want to go and buy that so I can have it for breakfast”. I think this commercial leaves out important things but things that commercials obviously are not going to put because that would make negative advertising on their product. But things like the sugar, it has a high amount of sugar which is not the healthiest thing, and they also say it is homemade. Well we all know that it is produced in factories and there are tons of machines and workers that help to produce the cereal.
Well the Calvin Klein commercial was just about like any other cologne/perfume commercial you see with two people who are all passionate for each other, some dramatic music, and some sort of physical action. I think these commercials are so stupid because they try and make it look like if you wear this certain perfume you’re going to get laid. Well we all know that’s not the case. Yes it might smell good, and help attract woman to you, but okay lets be realistic woman don’t just go up to guys and say oh man you smell nice, okay lets get together. Well at least I don’t think so! (I sure don’t!) This is in a sense false advertising because first of all you don’t even know what the scent smells like, and your life is not going to magically turn into the guy on the screen.
I have to say I really like what we had to do this week for the blogs. It is by far the most interesting and fun!

4 comments:

Lina said...

I know I was shocked to see the Dove video. At first I thought that people that I saw on Billboards had makeup on, but I didn't think they had all that computer workshop work done to their picure.I'm glad that Dove thinks there is something wrong about this. They want to push for natural beauty and acceptance of different beauty types. I also agree with that because I think everyone's beauty is unique. Yes everyone has flaws but I'd rather see the good and the bad in a person rather than a completely photo edited face.
As for the Wii vs. Playstion Ad I also thought it was interesting. The Wii girl probably knew a thing or two about her product, but the rest was about her. Like you said though, If I was a guy I would be all for the Wii because it would catch my attention more. I felt that this Ad purposely added sarcasim so they could show customers that in our society looks are everything.

Jeff Rakestraw said...

It's interesting that you noticed how much more interesting the "Playstation" girl's descriptions were.. the Wii's representative didn't offer much content ha. It was totally about appearances and attitude. It seems like that commercial might have turned out to be a pretty fair assessment of the two systems if they hadn't gone through the medium of two physically differing women and had just come out and said "the playstation is for people who want technical performance and can pay a higher price. the wii is for those who want to pay slightly less and get a simpler, more interactive system." not that i would know anything about either of them; everything i know i learned from the commercial. as for the CK ad, i think it's just that scent manufacturers have no choice but to advertise on TV because of sheer volume, but they have to figure out how to appeal visually and audibly to sell a product based on scent, which forces them to make ever more bizarre commercials.

Kevin Brower said...

I am going to start this comment about the cinnamon toast crunch commercial. I am pretty sure that the commercial said that it is very close to homemade but not actually homemade. The commercial did not totally leave out the sugar situation because the mom figure said wow it has less sugar than i thought it would but it still did not say how much exactly.
Also i do not agree when you said that the dove video was the only honest one because they could of told the audience a lot more about what will go on in the true beauty workshops and if you do go through it will you really feel beautiful or will they just tell you that so you will buy their products.
I agree that the CK commercial was really stupid and probably even more unrealistic than the dove commercial

Amanda said...

i know at first I was kinda shocked too that they can do that much photo shop to someone. I mean whats the point in even using an actual person anymore after they do all that haha. And yea they do try and show us that the thought of natural beauty doesn’t really exist anymore. With all the plastic surgery out there now a days if you have the smallest most insignificant thing that you don’t think is “pretty” you can have it changed. I knew this woman that got her lip liner and eye liner tatooed on I thought that was kinda funny and looked extremely painful! I agree with you completely about how the article is kinda making fun of the other girl for being conservative while little miss slut over there is like slapping her butt. I bet there arent many guys that if they saw this commercial would be like ooo I want a wii lol they would said I want that girl. I’m glad I have never seen this commercial on tv !